DEEP is continuing to carry out its mission and provide services while keeping both the public and our workforce safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for the latest updates on DEEP's response to COVID-19. DEEP COVID-19 Response

Common Wildlife Problems

Illustration of Common Nuisance Wildlife

Dealing with Distressed Wildlife

Information on what to do if you've found an animal that appears sick, injured or orphaned.

How to Become a Wildlife Rehabilitator

Provides information to individuals interested in becoming Wildlife Rehabilitators in Connecticut.

Report Dead Birds

Link to an online form to report dead birds.

Nuisance Wildlife Information and Suggestions

Each year, the Wildlife Division receives several thousand calls for assistance from residents who have problems with wild animals. These conflicts typically include wild animals damaging crops, livestock or property; wild animals posing a threat to human safety; diseased wild animals; and wild animals taking up residence in areas where they are unwanted. Information and suggestions for resolving problems are available for the following species (PDF versions of the information sheets are available where indicated):

Coyotes    PDF version of Living with Coyotes
Geese  PDF version of Dealing with Nuisance Canada Geese
Woodpeckers  PDF version of Dealing with Woodpecker Problems

Do Not Feed Waterfowl brochure

Professional Assistance for Nuisance Wildlife Problems

Provides information to Connecticut homeowners about how to get professional assistance from licensed Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators (NWCOs) in solving common nuisance wildlife problems.

List of Licensed NWCOs logo

Do you need additional help and advice concerning nuisance wildlife, particularly with species not listed here? Check out and select "Connecticut" as your state to get started. This website is supported by the Northeast Association of Fish and Wildlife Agencies and the Northeast Wildlife Damage Management Cooperative.

Rabies Information

Provides information to Connecticut homeowners about rabies.

How to Become a NWCO

Provides information to individuals interested in becoming Nuisance Wildlife Control Operators in Connecticut.

Deer Crop Damage Permit Program

The Deer Crop Damage Permit Program (Connecticut General Statutes 26-82) provides commercial agriculturalists with a minimum annual gross income of $2,500.00 and an actual or potential loss of this income from their cultivated agricultural crops, the opportunity to reduce damage caused by deer when the firearms deer hunting seasons are closed.

Content last updated on February 13, 2020.