DEEP is continuing to carry out its mission and provide services while keeping both the public and our workforce safe during the COVID-19 pandemic. Click here for the latest updates on DEEP's response to COVID-19. DEEP COVID-19 Response

Reporting Environmental Concerns and Problems

Report an Environmental Emergency
If you are involved in or witness an environmental emergency, call DEEP's Emergency Response Unit 24 hours a day at 866-DEP-SPIL (866-337-7745) or 860-424-3338. (Should these numbers be unavailable for any reason, call 860-424-3333.)

What is an environmental emergency?
An environmental emergency is a situation that poses an immediate threat to public health or the environment resulting from the release or potential release of oil, hazardous chemicals or radioactive materials into the air, land or water. Environmental emergencies may include:

  • Oil or chemical spills onto soil or into surface water, groundwater, or storm drains and sanitary sewers;
  • Leaking or reacting drums of known or unknown chemical or hazardous waste;
  • Leaking underground storage tank;
  • Fires involving tires, PCBs, pesticides or other chemicals;
  • Accidents involving the transportation of chemicals, oil or other petroleum products;
  • Illegal disposal or handling of asbestos, and biomedical, radioactive or hazardous waste;
  • Mercury spills.
  • More information on reporting spills
  • Licensed Spill Clean-Up Contractors

The following emergencies should be reported directly to the State Environmental Conservation Police at 860-424-3333:

  • Boating accidents and drownings;
  • Illegal or criminal activity on DEEP property (parks, forests, boat launches, etc.) such as motor vehicle or boating violations, narcotics, domestic abuse, assault, etc.

Report an Environmental Concern or Problem

Please note that many environmental issues are handled at the local level and not necessarily by DEEP.  For concerns about trash, litter, noise, recycling pickup, and household chemical disposal including paints, pesticides, oil, antifreeze, etc., you should first try contacting your local selectmen, code enforcement officers, health department, or fire or police officials.  You can find local contact information in the blue pages of your phone book and at the following websites:

Municipal Websites

Contact information for Local Health Departments

Municipal Recycling Contacts

Municipal Aquifer Protection Contacts

If you have concerns regarding environmental issues in your community or work place that have not been resolved by your local officials and would like to notify DEEP about them, you may contact the Department at the telephone numbers listed below. Please be prepared to provide the following information. Caution: never put yourself at risk to get any of the information. Gather whatever information you can without trespassing or exposing yourself to harmful materials or situations.

  • What? Describe the nature of the problem, violation or suspicious activity as completely as possible, including all information you think would be helpful. Complete, detailed reports can help determine the type of investigation needed. Photographs or videotape can be very helpful.
  • Where? The location of the incident; be specific as possible including road or stream names and directions so our inspectors can locate the problem.
  • When? The date and time the incident occurred or when you first noticed it. The sooner an incident is reported the greater likelihood that an environmentally protective response can be made.
  • Who? A description of any people suspected to be involved, noting clothing and distinguishing features. If you know the company or individual(s) causing the problem, please give us that information. Also indicate which local officials you have previously contacted in your town regarding this environmental issue including: names, dates, information/photographs, action taken, etc.
  • Vehicles or vessels? Any vehicles, vessels, etc. involved? Provide a description including registration or plate number, color, make, model, and the direction it was traveling.
  • Containers? Indicate the size, shape, color and number of containers; the type (plastic, metal, etc.); condition (bulging, rusted, missing covers, etc.); any leaking material.
  • Your contact information? All information provided to DEEP becomes part of the public record. You may file a complaint anonymously; in that case, however, DEEP will not be able to provide you with feedback and, if you do not supply sufficient information regarding the problem, we may not be able to investigate the complaint. Please note: in many cases you can be identified by your email address; if you wish to remain anonymous, you may need to file your complaint by phone.

The Connecticut Council on Environmental Quality (CEQ) is a nine-member board that works independently of DEEP.   If you observe an environmental problem that no other agency/municipality seems to be solving effectively, you can contact the CEQ to see if they can help.  The CEQ will investigate and, if appropriate, recommend that a relevant agency take corrective action.

Concern or Problem Topic

Who to Contact
(DEEP or other as noted)

Additional Information

Air Pollution

Outdoor Air
(Odors, emissions, burning, fugitive dust)
DEEP Air Management - 860-424-3436 or email
EPA - Air Pollution Information
Indoor Air Quality Health Questions:
Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) 860-509-7742 or your local health department
DPH Environmental and Occupational Health Assessment Program

EPA - Indoor Air Quality Information

Workplace Issues - Public Sector Employees:
CT Department of Labor, Occupational Safety & Health - 860-263-6900
Connecticut Department of Labor Occupational Safety and Health (CONN-OSHA)
Workplace Issues - Private Sector Employees:
Federal OSHA - 860-240-3152




Dead animals, roadkill

Town Public Works Department

For State roads:
CT Department of Transportation (DOT) - 860-594-2000




Municipal Websites


Dead birds Report dead birds via the Wild Bird Mortality Database. If you see several dead birds (>5) in one location or notice that several birds die in the same area over the course of several days, testing of the dead birds may be warranted. Report the dead birds in the Database and also call the Wildlife Division at 860-424-3011.

ATVs - All Terrain Vehicles
(Illegal operation)



On State Parks, Forests, Trails DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333 All-Terrain Vehicle Policy and Procedures
On All Other Property Local Police Department (Do Not Call 911)

Municipal Websites




Disposal DEEP Solid Waste Program - 860-424-3366 Asbestos Disposal Authorization Fact Sheet
All other asbestos issues Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) Asbestos Program
DPH Asbestos Program




Safety Violations DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333 Boating in Connecticut
General Boating Concerns
DEEP Boating Division - 860-434-8638 or

Coastal Issues
(Illegal docks, structures obstructing navigation, coastal wetlands, dredging and fill)



DEEP Land and Water Resources Division - 860-424-3034



Coastal Management Guidance and Standards

Drinking Water Quality



Public Water Supplies Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) - 860-509-7333 DPH - Public Water System - Consumer Information
Private Wells

General questions/concerns regarding well water quality or well construction including routine potability testing should be directed to your Local health department.

Questions/concerns regarding known or suspected contamination of private wells, pollution resulting from human activities, including chemical or petroleum pollution, should be directed to DEEP's Remediation Program at 860-424-3705.



EPA - Private Drinking Water Wells

(Improper dumping or disposing of solid waste)



Your Town/City Public Works Department

DEEP's Solid Waste Program 860-424-3366

If the dumping is an environmental emergency, report to DEEP's Emergency Response Unit



Call Before You Dig (CBYD) - 811 or 800-922-4455
General Concerns - PURA CBYD Unit




Illegal Activity

DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333
Turn In Poachers (TIP) 800-842-4357



Angler's Guide

Fish kills
(Dead/distressed fish)
Coastal waters, Long Island Sound:
DEEP Fisheries Division (Marine)  860-434-6043

Lakes/ponds, rivers/streams:
DEEP Fisheries Division (Inland)  860-424-3474

All locations and nights and weekends:
DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333 





Gas Leaks/Odors



General Concerns:

Natural Gas


(Illegal Activity)



DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333
Turn In Poachers (TIP) 800-842-4357



Hunting & Trapping Guide

Lead Contaminated Soils or Debris



DEEP Waste Management - 860-424-3023



Lead Paint/Lead Poisoning



Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH) - 860-509-7299



DPH Lead Poisoning Prevention Program

EPA - Lead in Paint, Dust and Soil




Mercury Poisoning Poison Control Center at the UCONN Health Center at 1-800-222-1222
Hearing impaired - call 1-866-218-5372
EPA - Mercury Information
Mercury Spill DEEP Emergency Response and Spill Prevention - 860-424-3338 Broken Thermometer Guidance




Your local municipality






DEEP Pesticide Management Program - 860-424-3369



EPA - Pesticides Information

EPA - Emergency Information

PCBs ("Polychlorinated Biphenyls")



DEEP PCB Program - 860-424-3368






Connecticut Department of Public Health (DPH)



DPH Radon Program




DEEP Recycling Program - 860-424-3366




State Parks, Forests, Trails



Illegal Activity DEEP Law Enforcement - 860-424-3333
General Conditions, etc.
DEEP State Parks Office - 860-424-3200 or

Underground Storage Tanks



DEEP Storage Tank Enforcement Unit - 860-424-3374






Hazardous Waste
(Abandoned, improper storage, or improper disposal)



DEEP Waste Management - 860-424-3023 or 888-424-4193
Medical Waste
(Improper Disposal)
DEEP Solid Waste Program - 860-424-3366
Solid Waste
(Improper Disposal)
DEEP Solid Waste Program - 860-424-3366

Wastewater (Sewage) Treatment Facilities
(Collection system bypass or failure)



DEEP Wastewater Facilities Management -
860-424-3704 (during normal business hours)
866-DEP-SPIL (866-377-7745) or 860-424-3338 (nights and weekends)



Municipal Websites

Water Pollution
(Illegal discharges into streams/rivers or lakes)



DEEP Water Enforcement - 860-424-3025



(unauthorized fill or dredging)



Inland Wetlands
Land and Water Resources Division - 860-424-3019

Coastal Wetlands
DEEP Land and Water Resources Division - 860-424-3034







Distressed Wildlife(Sick, injured, orphaned) DEEP Wildlife Division - 860-424-3011 Dealing with Distressed Wildlife
Nuisance Wildlife DEEP Wildlife Division - 860-424-3011 Nuisance Wildlife Information and Suggestions

Don't know who to call?



Check the list of DEEP Program Phone Numbers  or try the DEEP information line - 860-424-3000.