Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine, East Granby


Old New-Gate is currently closed for the season and will re-open in May, 2020.
Stay tuned for more details. 

Established in 1705, Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine is the site of the first operating copper mine in the North American Colonies. The mine had little success, and by the 1750s all mining activity had ceased. In 1773, the colony of Connecticut acquired the copper mine to be used as a workhouse and prison for convicted criminals, including British Loyalists. The State of Connecticut abandoned New-Gate Prison in 1827 because it was considered inhumane and costly to run. The property became a popular tourist destination during the early to mid-20th century after mining attempts had again failed in the mid-19th century. In 1968 the State of Connecticut re-acquired Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine to be operated as a prison museum. Today, Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine is listed as a National Historic Landmark and State Archaeological Preserve. The museum strives to engage with historic and contemporary issues through exploration and discovery of the site as a copper mine, prison, and tourist attraction.

Contact Information

Phone: 860-653-3563

Email: Newgate.Museum@ct.gov

Site Manager- 860-655-1591 / Morgan.Bengel@ct.gov


Related Resources

Follow the museum on Facebook

Take an aerial tour of Old New-Gate Prison & Copper Mine

Take a virtual tour of the copper mine

Become a Volunteer

Schedule photography, filming, or other special events at the museum

Old New-Gate Prisoner List

Transcript of 1800 Connecticut Courant escape attempt article

Transcript of 1801 escape attempt report by prison keeper Thomas Shelden

Transcript of 1815 Connecticut Courant editorial

Transcript of 1819 Connecticut Courant reward notice for escaped convicts