Walk-in services at all DRS branch office locations remain suspended. Email DRS at drs@po.state.ct.us. Email the Priority One Taxpayer Assistance Program: DRSPriorityOne_CollectionsAssist@po.state.ct.us. Please check our Frequently Asked Questions page.

If you need to change the TSC Administrator for your business, select the appropriate link below:
If the person currently listed as the TSC Administrator is available, but should not be the Administrator for the TSC please follow these steps:
  1. Have the current Administrator log into the TSC.
  2. From the TSC Main Menu the current administrator will select Add/Update Users on the left toolbar, under Administrative Functions:
    • If the person who should be the TSC Administrator is listed as a user in the TSC, click on their User ID to access the account.
    • If the new Administrator is not a current user, select the +add user button and create a new User ID and temporary password for the person that should be the TSC Administrator. 
  3. While in the Add/Update User page the current administrator will need to be sure to check the box to assign the Administrator rights to this user as shown below.  The TSC Administrator is automatically granted full rights to file, pay, and view all activities for this account on the TSC.
Check Administrator box
  1. Click Save to complete this step.  The user will be automatically logged out of the TSC and lose all filing rights.
  2. Have the new TSC Administrator log in to the TSC.  
  3. If the new TSC Administrator is logging into the TSC for the first time, he or she will have to set up a profile and create a new password. 
  4. If the previous administrator still needs access to the TSC to file, pay or view, the new administrator will select Add/Update Users from the TSC Main Menu, click on the appropriate User ID and scroll down to the User Rights section and give the user the access level rights needed for each tax type listed. Click Save to complete this step.
If the person currently listed as the TSC Administrator is not available (no longer works for the business, out on leave or vacation, etc.) or if you are locked out and cannot remember your Userid/Password you will need to:
  • Complete Form TPG-189, Request Change to Administrator in TSC, in its entirety and fax the completed form to the Department of Revenue Services TSC Coordinator at 860-297-4761 or mail it to the address listed on the form.  (NOTE:  Please try to complete the form using the fill-in version rather than handwriting.  If we are unable to understand your writing we will not be able to process the form.)